OVERVIEW OF THE TYPE SEVEN:
Enneagram Type Sevens are the most energetic, spontaneous, free-spirited kinds of people. They have bold imaginations and a strong thirst for adventure. However, this strong thirst for life can often lead to them overfilling their schedule (FOMO is real for Type Sevens). This overfilling of their schedule can lead to feelings of burnout, which then causes them to feel shame for not being out there and experiencing life.
This constant need to chase excitement often means that Sevens are avoiding situations (even subconsciously) that bring up uncomfortable/unsettling feelings. Because Enneagram Sevens are the most glass-half-full thinkers of the Enneagram, they avoid these negative and uncomfortable feelings at all costs.
Enneagram Sevens often idealize the possibilities and opportunities in life, which leads to some level of disappointment when reality doesn’t match up to their ideals. An interesting analogy for the Enneagram Seven is to imagine their energy as a 64 oz. tumbler cup — compared to everyone else’s 32 oz. cup it can sometimes feel overwhelming — it’s not good or bad, it’s just unique.
Key Characteristics of Enneagram Type Sevens:
- Adventurous and Spontaneous: Enneagram Sevens are extremely energetic, spontaneous and enthusiastic. They love exploring new opportunities and seeking out fun, unique experiences. Because of this drive for new experiences, it’s sometimes difficult for them to carry out projects all the way through — the more boring, menial tasks are of no excitement to them. They’d rather spend time dreaming into new experiences than doing the boring, but sometimes necessary work.
- Positive Outlook: Sevens are the most positive and optimistic thinkers of the Enneagram. They are constantly focused on the potential for joy and excitement in their life.
- Futuristic Thinking: Sevens are forward-thinkers and tend to put their energy and focus on the future instead of living in the past or present. This can often lead to a lack of appreciation for where they are right now, as they are often thinking about & idealizing who they could be in the future.
Type Seven Core Fear:
Being deprived, trapped in emotional pain, limited or bored. They sometimes avoid facing pain and difficulty by overly-focusing on the positives (while also, setting aside the uncomfortable feelings in order to dream into future, more positive experiences).
Type Seven Core Desire:
To feel truly satisfied, fulfilled and content. They often seek positive, exciting experiences in order to avoid pain or discomfort.
Core Differentiator for Type Sevens (What Makes Them Unique) :
Sevens are the best-case-scenario imaginers. They have a unique ability to always be focused on the positives in life. Sometimes there’s an over-emphasis on the positives in order to avoid more difficult feelings.
Common Thoughts of Enneagram Type Seven:
- I hate being bored – in fact, I tend to get anxious or feel things I don’t like when I slow down – so I tend to pack my schedule with lots of things to keep my busy
- There are so many exciting things to try in life, and I want to try them all! In fact, I feel deeply deprived and unsatisfied if I feel like I’m missing out on something exciting
- It’s hard for me to sit still. If I’m forced to, I often find my mind wandering and fantasizing about more exciting things I could be doing
- I (unconsciously) avoid unpleasant feelings as much as possible. I mean, who wants to feel sad or upset? I’d rather turn every negative thought into something more positive
- People sometimes see me as flighty, but my busy life isn’t chaotic to me. It’s fun. I’m often the life of the party and feel the most fulfilled when I’m around others with equally high energy
Growth Path for Enneagram Sevens:
Growth for Enneagram Sevens includes learning how to sit in the uncomfortable emotions without feeling the need to “jump ship” to something more positive. Sevens also experience great personal growth when they can stay in the present moment, face the difficult emotions, and embrace stillness and introspection. Sevens befit greatly when they can recognize that pain and discomfort are inevitable (& necessary) aspects of the human experience.
READY TO DISCOVER YOUR ENNEAGRAM TYPE ONCE AND FOR ALL?
THE MOST THOROUGH & ACCURATE WAY TO FIND OUT YOUR TYPE
In this free 90 minute workshop — I’ll help you gain understanding of what the Enneagram is, the characteristics of each type & help you discover your unique Enneagram type.
This workshop is so much more accurate than taking a free test! I’ll be diving into the nuances of each Enneagram type and providing easy to understand exercises & examples to help you discover the type that fits you the most accurately.