OVERVIEW OF THE TYPE FOUR:
People with this Enneagram type have a strong drive to be seen as unique, authentic and significant. Enneagram Fours are the most introspective type and have a special ability to find deep meaning and beauty in the world around them.
Fours are the only Enneagram type that are comfortable sitting in their dark, moody, melancholic emotions and feel no need to change them. An interesting analogy when it comes to the emotions of Enneagram Fours is this: Their emotions and feelings are like waves in the ocean, often tossing them intensely from side to side.
Enneagram Fours have beautiful, creative minds and have unique gifts to share with their world — although, they often combat feelings of “not enough” and being flawed. Fours spend a lot of time and energy living in their thoughts and feelings, and compare their current self to an idealized version of themselves.
Key Characteristics of Enneagram Type Fours:
- Individualistic: Enneagram Fours value their uniqueness and strive to express themselves and their creativity. They have a strong desire to stand out from the crowd and to have a special, unique life.
- Emotionally Intense: Enneagram Fours have a deep connection to their emotions and have an ability to experience a very wide range of feelings. This intense connection with their emotions is often a beautiful gateway to how they express their creativity. They sometimes have a tendency of living in their intense emotions for an extended period of time, forgetting that these emotions will pass.
- Avoiding Conformity: Fours do not want to feel boxed in. They often dislike and feel uncomfortable with the pressures put on them by society to conform. Fours prefer to let their authentic selves take the lead. However, because of their ingrained belief that they are flawed, they are constantly searching for their true self and strive to find & live out their most authentic identity.
Type Four Core Fear:
Being defective, mundane and insignificant. They feel uncomfortable and dislike the need to “blend in” with others. They fear they won’t be seen as valuable or unique/special by others.
Type Four Core Desire:
To find themselves, be unique, and to live out their most authentic identity. They are constantly seeking their own identity and have a deep desire to be recognized as distinct from others.
Core Differentiator for Type Fours (What Makes Them Unique) :
Enneagram Fours are the only type that can sit with pain and deep (uncomfortable) feelings and feel no need to fix it. They have a deep understanding and acceptance that strong, melancholic feelings are a part of the unique human experience. Because of their ability to find beauty in all things, they can find beauty in the depths of emotions. Sometimes this tendency to sit in these deep feelings (for too long), can make them feel that something is missing from their lives. They can sometimes have trouble seeing the more positive opportunities around them.
Common Thoughts of Enneagram Type Fours:
- I feel like people don’t really “get me”
- I really dislike when I see people do things that are “trendy” or just to fit in – I don’t like people that feel “fake” and “inauthentic”
- I’m very in touch with my feelings, sometimes I can get lost in them
- I feel it deeply when others around me are hurting or suffering (or even people not around me/in the world)
- I have an idealized version of who I want to become, but I never seem to live up to her
Growth Path for Enneagram Fours:
Growth for Enneagram Fours often looks like recognizing and appreciating the beauty in the simple, ordinary, more “mundane” things in life. It also means practicing self-love and self-acceptance on a regular basis, and allowing themselves to be fully in the present moment – not living in the past or in an idealized future. True self-growth comes when they can understand that their value is not dependent on how unique they are.
READY TO DISCOVER YOUR ENNEAGRAM TYPE ONCE AND FOR ALL?
THE MOST THOROUGH & ACCURATE WAY TO FIND OUT YOUR TYPE
In this free 90 minute workshop — I’ll help you gain understanding of what the Enneagram is, the characteristics of each type & help you discover your unique Enneagram type.
This workshop is so much more accurate than taking a free test! I’ll be diving into the nuances of each Enneagram type and providing easy to understand exercises & examples to help you discover the type that fits you the most accurately.